Serving People and the Earth We Live On
Kelber Catering’s service goes far beyond what is on the plate.
Social Responsibility in the workplace takes commitment, education, and follow-through. Kelber has been a pioneer in green initiatives and takes great pride in our accomplishments with social responsibility.
Protecting our environment and natural resources is a collaboration throughout Kelber Catering. This collaboration brings awareness to the forefront for all employees, vendors and clients.
So how do we contribute to these important efforts?
It Starts with Our Minneapolis Convention Center (MCC) Home
- MCC is LEED certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) from the U.S. Green Build Council along with a level-one standards certification for environmentally sustainable meetings, events, trade shows and conferences from ASTM International, an international standards organization.
- The Events Industry Council recognizes MCC as Leaders in Sustainability.
- Annually, 5.4 Million Gallons of runoff rainwater are redirected to underground storage for the facility irrigation.
- Restrooms and kitchen areas have been upgraded to fixtures that use 50% less water.
- Thousands of 600 KW roof top solar panels provide on-site green sourced energy.
- Floor care equipment uses Orbio Split Steam and Blended Stream Technology which converts water, electricity and a small amount of salt to clean surfaces without chemicals.
- Almost all cleaning products used in the MCC are Green Seal Certified.
Approximately four tons of food is donated each year to local food shelves, youth and missions programs.
Roughly 160 tons of unusable for human consumption food is donated for hog feed and composting. A program instrumented back in the late 80’s between Kelber Catering and local farmers.
It Happens in Our Kitchen Daily
- Since 2009, 96% of our disposable products are from renewable resources, are biodegradable or compostable, and are produced with the highest recycled content. This includes environmentally-friendly hot and cold drink cups, dinnerware, packaging, napkins, paper towels, and much more.
- Reduction of waste is assisted by instituting smart practices like using bulk condiments when available.
- We collect and recycle our fryer grease, which is processed into Bio-Fuel and degreaser soap.
- Whenever possible our produce and products are sourced locally. We have also made it possible to offer local, seasonal and organic food menu options for events.
- We have reduced waste by recycling and composting our food leftovers and disposables.
It Is Carried Out through Great Partnerships
- Since 1990, all consumable unserved food is packaged and sent to People Serving People (PSP).
- In recent years, we have added YouthLink to our charitable donor list for consumable unserved food.
- Second Harvest Farms, helps us to deliver, on average, 160 tons of food waste to their Food-to-Hogs program yearly.
- Dunn Brothers provides Kelber with only top-grade raw coffee beans. They source the beans from farmers around the world that are adhering to sustainable and environmental practices. Beans are roasted weekly and ground in-house for use on all events within the MCC.
Kelber Catering’s leadership pledges continuous commitment in finding new strategies to keep us on the forefront of sustainable hospitality practices.